I am one of those weirdo’s who loves to set New Year’s resolutions. I don’t even need it to be New Year’s day. I like to start fresh all the time. It could be the first day of a new season, the first day of the month, or even the first day of the week. I love the idea of beginning anew. Wipe the slate clean and start over. Maybe it’s because I make a lot of mistakes. Maybe it is because I’m full of good intentions. It is not to say that I don’t achieve my goals so I have to start over or that I am a quitter. I do achieve the goals I set – sometimes, most of the time. It’s just that I love to set goals for myself and see if I can achieve them. Sure, I am disappointed when it doesn’t work out. But when I do achieve my goals, it gives me a real sense of accomplishment that makes me feel like I can do anything. Setting goals and achieving them gives me confidence. So, call me crazy, but I do love this time of year because it is the ultimate goal setting time. I hope you are taking the opportunity to set goals for yourself. It can be any type of goal. It would be great if you set goals for different aspects of your life. Don’t try to take on too much, but there are many different types of goals to set. Here are a few tips if you are wanting to set goals and would like to set yourself up to be more successful.
- Set goals that make you excited. If you are setting a goal for something you dread, chances are you won’t want to follow through with it. Maybe by accomplishing a goal for something you are excited about, it will give you the confidence to then tackle a goal that you used to drag your feet on.
- Try to make your goals measurable and specific. This will help you to know for sure that you reached it. For example, one of my goals for this year is to read more books. Last year, I read 27 books. This year my goal is 30. Just so you know my goal for last year was 40. It was a lofty goal which I didn’t achieve, but that’s not stopping me from trying again this year. If I achieve my goal this year, I can always increase it for 2019.
- Tell other people about your goals. Write them down and post them where you will see them everyday. This keeps you on track. Other people will make you accountable to your goals. If you keep them to yourself, or write them somewhere you can’t see them, it will be easier to lose focus.
- Plan and prepare. Set yourself up for success. Each day, think about what you need to do to achieve your goals. Try to think of things that might get you off track. Plan for the inevitable. You can’t always know what is coming, but if you plan for what you can, you’ll be ready for most anything. I’m always working on my nutrition. If I don’t plan my meals, chances are I’m going to get really hungry and eat anything and everything you set in front of me. (No Joke!) If I plan my meals, then I’m much more successful to sticking to my plan. I always start the morning off with great intentions, but as the day wears on, it is easy to lose my resolve. The better I plan, the less likely I am to give in to my weaknesses.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Yes, we want to be successful at achieving our goals. However, there’s no reason to beat yourself up if you make a mistake. Pick yourself up and brush yourself off, and start over again. I believe that we should always be growing and evolving. I plan to keep trying to improve myself all the way up to my last day on this earth.
We can always learn something new. We can always make improvements to ourselves. We are not set in stone. It’s never too late to make yourself a better person. Isn’t that why we are here? To take what we are given and be the best version of ourselves that we can be? I hope you are inspired to set some goals and make some improvements in your life. You can do it. You deserve it!